Matt was born in 1981 and grew up in Abu Dhabi, Singapore and England. Now based in London, he is a classically trained artist who works in oils and charcoal.
Matt began his training in traditional drawing and painting methods in 2005, studying at a number of contemporary ateliers in the UK and Europe.
Matt's subject matter cover still life, portraiture and landscape. Influenced by traditional oil painting techniques, he uses multiple layers of paint to achieve deeply atmospheric compositions, combined with an economy of means to achieve lifelike representation with a minimum of brushwork.
Matt's work has featured in major exhibitions and hangs in private collections in the UK and Asia. He has completed a number of portrait, landscape and still life commissions.
- 2016 Michael Harding Award, Royal Society of British Artists (RBA) Annual Exhibition, UK
- 2016 Finalist, Still life category, Art Renewal Center (ARC) Annual International Salon, USA
- 2016 Finalist, RBA Rome Scholarship, UK
- 2015 Highly commended, Ashurst Emerging Artist Prize, UK
- 2015 Highly commended, Portrait and Still life Professional categories, Society for All Artists (SAA) Artist of the Year, UK
- 2014 Finalist, Still life category, ARC Annual International Salon, USA
- 2018 Royal Society of Portrait Painters (RP) Annual Exhibition, Mall Galleries, London
- 2018 Ashurst Winter Exhibition, Ashurst LLP, London
- 2016 RP Annual Exhibition, Mall Galleries, London
- 2016 RBA Annual Exhibition, Mall Galleries, London
- 2016 RBA Rising Stars, Lloyds Register, London
- 2015 Ashurst Emerging Artists, Ashurst LLP, London
- 2015 SAA All about Art, Islington Design Centre, London
- 2015 Summer Exhibition, Joanne Parker Gallery, London
- 2015 Journeys (group exhibition), Halesworth, Suffolk, England
- 2015 Royal Academy Salon des Refuses, SPACE, London
- 2015 The Camberwell Open, Orso Major Gallery, London
- 2014 Royal Institute of Oil Painters (ROI) Annual Exhibition, Mall Galleries, London
- 2014 Affordable Art Fair, Singapore
- 2014 Affordable Art Fair, Battersea, London
This website presents a sample of Matt's work. For a list of available works, enquiries about commissions or anything else, please use the form below.